Flow Cytometry is an essential tool that is widely used in cancer research. The Flow Cytometry Shared Resource provides equipment, training, and operating assistance for cell sorting and analysis. Facility staff oversees equipment maintenance, trains new users, and assists with assay development and operation of equipment. Outside users are welcome to contact the facility manager for appointments, rates, or more information about services.
Flow cytometry can be used in a variety of applications including analysis of cell cycle progression and apoptosis, quantitation of cell surface-expressed receptors and other markers, sorting and analysis of GFP-or mCherry tagged cells in complex populations, and sorting and enrichment of stem cells from different tissues based on cell-surface markers or subpopulations of cancer cells based on aneuploidy. This Shared Resource offers:
- Training in use of equipment
- Consulting on experimental design
- Operation of instruments
In addition, tissue culture facilities are available for maintenance of cells during experiments.
The Flow Cytometry Shared Resource provides access to instrumentation and expertise to facilitate flow cytometry and flow sorting needs, from routine analytical procedures to separating cells from tissue samples. The Facility includes a fully operational tissue culture room for preparing samples. The instrumentation includes:
- Becton Dickinson LSR Dual Fortessa SORP Cell Analyzer consists of two separate analyzers sharing one housing unit. Each side is equipped with 5 lasers and is capable of 21-parameter analysis. Additionally, one side has a High-Throughput Sampler for acquisition from a 96-well plate. It can also be switched back and used in single-tube mode when needed. The laser system includes 355 nm UV, 405 nm Violet, 488 nm Blue, 561 nm Yellow-Green, and 640 nm Red.
- Two Becton Dickinson FACSAria SORP Cell Sorters equipped with 5 lasers, 1-4 way sorting, 18-21 parameters, and automated cell-deposition unit for sorting cells into 96- or 384 well plates with indexing capabilities. Each sorter has an Aerosol Management System and is fully contained within a Biosafety Cabinet for BSL2+ sorting. Each laser system includes 355 nm UV, 405 nm Violet, 488 nm Blue, 561nm Yellow-Green, and 640nm Red.
- SONY Biotechnology SH800 Cell Sorter equipped with 4 lasers, 6 parameters, 2-way sorting and sorting into 96- or 384- well plates with indexing capabilities. This unit also has an Aerosol Management System and is fully contained within a Biosafety Cabinet. The laser system includes 405 nm Violet, 488 nm Blue, 561 nm Yellow-Green, and 640 nm Red.