CSHL Cancer Center
- Cancer Center Home
- Scientific Programs
- Shared Resources
- Research Highlights
Gene Targeting Shared Resource
|Alea Mills, Ph.D.||
Leyi Li, Ph. D.
The Gene Targeting Shared Resource assists with the construction and management of genetically altered mouse strains. The primary services provided by this shared resource are the generation of transgenic or chimeric mice. Cryopreservation of both mouse embryos and sperm is offered for storage and management of transgenic mouse lines. In addition to offering these standard services, the facility assists investigators in experiments that require sophisticated embryo manipulation or cell/embryo microinjection techniques.
Generation of Transgenic or Chimeric Animals
- Production of transgenic mice by pronuclear injection
- Generation of chimeric mice by injection of genetically altered ES cells
- Production ES cell-derived mice by tetraploid injection
Cell Culture Services
- Gene targeting in embryonic stem cells.
- Derivation of ES cell lines from transgenic or mutant mice.
- Maintenance of ES cell line stocks for use in gene targeting experiments.
- Karyotyping of ES cells.
- In vitro fertilization (IVF)
- Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI).
- Embryo and sperm cryopreservation
- Recovery of frozen embryos
- Rederivation of SPF mouse lines
- Consulting and technical assistance
Generation of constitutive or conditional gene knockouts may be facilitated by use of available libraries of gene targeting vectors or interfering constructs. Such resources greatly speed up generation of mouse models with defined germline mutations.
• Mouse Gene Targeting Library
• CSHL RNA Interference library
• The German Gene Trap Consortium (GGTC)
• The International Gene Trap Consortium (IGTC)